Virtual Visible Mending Workshop: Intro to Darning and Sashiko
Join Chicago Fair Trade’s Conscious Closet Club and Alithea Tashey for a live, virtual visible mending class.
Want to learn how to extend the life of your clothes and express yourself via thread and needle? This introductory virtual visible mending class will be taught by Alithea Tashey.
In the first hour, learn the basics of darning, the art of weaving a patch over a hole. Darning adds a colorful or subtle cover-up over small holes and stains in your clothes, shoes, furniture, and any other fabrics.
After a short break, learn the basics of sashiko, the Japanese art of reinforcing frayed and torn material. Sashiko uses decorative stitching patterns to repair and strengthen damaged materials.
Participants can provide their own materials or choose to purchase a materials pack at checkout. Packs will be snail mailed to you, and due to potential USPS delays, packs are only available to purchase through May 16 at 5 PM.
- Extra long needle with pointed tip and wide eye (materials pack will include Dritz 56Y-D Yarn Darners Hand Needle, Size 14/18)
- Sashiko thread, embroidery floss, yarn, or twisted craft cord
- Material with small hole you want to patch / tear you want to reinforce / or scrap material you want to practice on
- Fabric pieces for layering patches (cut up jeans, sheets, swatches, etc.)
Optional materials (helpful but not necessary)
- Embroidery hoop
- Needle threader
- Pen / pencil / fabric marker / heat erasing ink pen
- Darning egg / soup ladle / or other small round container with rubberband
- Safety pins
- Ruler / straight edge
- Sashiko pattern stencils