Our annual World Fair Trade Day festival is just over a week away, and we hope to see you there! This 2-day festival and international marketplace will take place on May 4th and 5th from 9 am to 6 pm at Daley Plaza, in the heart of downtown Chicago. Still not sure whether or not you’ll be able to make it? Check out our list of 5 reasons this is an event you DO NOT want to miss…
- It’s the biggest fair trade festival in the USA! That’s right, Chicago’s at the epicenter of the fair trade movement in the United States – we’re the largest fair trade city, with the largest fair trade coalition, and we hold the largest fair trade event every year! We couldn’t do it without you, so come help us celebrate!
- Shop from the collections of more than 2 dozen locally-owned ethical vendors. Our marketplace is bigger and better than ever this year. You’ll get to check out the newest products from some of our long-time members (like Mata Traders and Sandpiper Imports) and meet some of our newest members, including Heshima Kenya, Y’abal Handicrafts, and Metropolis Coffee. Come welcome to them to the CFT community!
- There will be a live broadcast of WBEZ’s popular noontime program, Worldview, from the plaza on May 4th! Host Jerome McDonald will interview some of the leaders of the local fair trade movement, including business owners, students, and activists, about CFT’s work over the last 10 years and what we hope to accomplish going forward. You can join us to observe the broadcast, or join in if you’d like!
- At 5 pm on May 4th, we’re building the world’s biggest fair trade banana split. It’s true! We’ve partnered with students from Fair Trade at Northwestern and businesses like Ben & Jerry’s and Equal Exchange to set the record for the biggest banana split made solely from fair trade ingredients. Join us to help put it together… and then help us eat it! (See more here.)
- Enjoy the great outdoors! We don’t want to jinx it, but the last two years, we’ve had the most beautiful weather for this event. So get outside on your lunch break to enjoy a little sunshine & say hey to all your closest fair trade friends.